Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Two-way streets contraflows. Spoke too soon?

Last week I reported on how the City's Planning and Transportation Committee approved two-way contraflows for cycling here. Great and encouraging stuff. Some people in the City were quite surprised at how easily the measure was approved and expected far more resistance.

What I hadn't realised at the time is that there's one more committee hurdle to go. After a quick chat with the City's cycling officer, I now realise that the measure also requires approval by the Policy and Resources Committee on November 18th when the committee meets after its annual dinner gathering the night before. The Planning Committee is the one with the money. It has some pro-cycling faces on it but not lots.

Annoyingly, I'm not going to be able to attend but the meeting is open to the public and if anyone fancies attending and listening in or reporting back, please email me at cyclistsinthecity@gmail.com and I'll send further details as soon as I have them. The meeting will take place from 13.45 to 16.00 on November 18th and you'll only need attend the contraflow bit, not the entire session.