Thursday, 3 February 2011

Holborn Circus - new scheme. Comment on the latest plans

The new look Holborn Circus brochure landed in my inbox this evening.

So far, this is all I've got. Plus an invitation to attend a public consultation on 3 March.

It looks pretty. Whether or not it will make this junction any safer for cycling, who knows. I seem to remember a woman killed on her bicycle two years ago by a left-turning HGV. I also battle regularly with access to the junction on a bicycle. There is often simply nowhere to fit when you're on your bicycle trying to access the junction because all the traffic is queued up on the approaches with no space to pass the motor vehicles as they sit impatiently puffing out pollution.

If it solves the approaches issue, that would be great. The feeder lane heading east along High Holborn works relatively well for that purpose. It's wide enough to keep motor traffic and you apart. So does the job.

But from the looks of this mock-up, that still won't be the case if you're heading west from High Holborn.

For the meantime, I'm going to try and get hold of more detailed plans.

If anyone's interested in coming along, let me know. The invitation doesn't say what time the presentation will take place.

I'd welcome any initial comments or suggestions on the somewhat limited information we've got so far.